Professor Jeff Astley has been an honorary lecturer in the University of Durham since 1981, Honorary Professorial Fellow in Practical Theology and Christian Education since 1997, and Honorary Professor in the Department of Theology and Religion since 2012. He read Natural Sciences (specializing in the biological sciences) and then Theology at the University of Cambridge, and continued his theological studies at the University of Birmingham while training for ordination at The Queen’s College, Birmingham. He was ordained in the Church of England in 1970 and served as an assistant curate in South Staffordshire before moving to Durham as a College Chaplain and Lecturer in Divinity in St Hild’s College, later the College of St Hild and St Bede. While in Durham he began working part-time for his PhD in the philosophy of religion (on the religious epistemology of Ian T Ramsey; awarded 1979).
- Studying God: Doing Theology (Learning Church)
- SCM Studyguide: Christian Doctrine
- Problems in Theology: Evil : Evil (Problems in Theology)
- Christology: Key Readings in Christian Thought
- Christian Perspectives on Faith Development: A Reader
- The Philosophy of Christian Religious Education
- Exploring God-Talk: Using Language in Religion (Exploring Faith – Theology for Life)